My husband has an additional pillow that he uses when reading in bed. It always bothered me that I did not have a matching pillowcase. So some time ago I bought neutral fabrics and finally sewed two pillowcases last weekend.
To get my pattern I traced around the shape of the pillow. I cut this pattern two times and also a 6cm wide strap (4 cm final width plus seam allowances) that would be sewn between the two main pieces to give depth to the pillowcase. I found matching zippers in my stash.
The construction was quite simple. First I sewed one edge of the zipper to the strip and then to the upper edge of one main piece. Then I sewed the strip to the rest of the first main piece. The last step was to sew the second main piece to the strip. All seams were finished with my serger.
This was such a quick project but gives me so much joy every time I now see a matching pillowcase.