The pictures are not the best but it was cold and rainy that weekend and I had to take advantage of a rain break.
I used a 100 % cotton batiste from my stash. It was not quite enough so I had to use some other scraps of green fabric for the waistband and the pockets. In the end I am happy how this turned out. The green contrast balances the flower print.
I also had to piece the pocket facing as there wasn’t any piece left which was big enough. I always felt that piecing is not professional and would somehow downgrade the finished garment. My mind changed after I read an article about piecing in one of the last Thread issues. If you use it deliberately and in unconspicous places it can save a lot of fabric. That is something I can appreciate.
I started with a size 4, as I was sure this is my usual hip size for Itch-to Stitch patterns. This version was a bit tight though, and after remeasuring I found myself between size 4 and 6 (I totally am sure
hope this is due to my regular visits to the gym and not due to too much cookies during the holiday season). So I let out all seam allowances and this final version is rather a size 6.
I made two other alterations to the pattern:
- shortening the front crotch
- taking off some fabric below the butt
For the first alteration I just used the crotch curve of a Burda pattern. I always have too much fabric in the front, so this has nothing to do with this pattern, but with my body shape. I also had a bit extra fabric below the butt. To get rid of it I used the method from Kennis King and folded out the extra fabric below the crotch curve at the back leg and added the same amount again at the hem.
Construction was very straight forward. I finished all my seam allowances with the serger. The elastic in the waistband is sewn down with two seams. This gives a nice, smooth look and prevents the elastic from twisting, but you have to make sure to cut the elastic to the correct lenght. Alterations later on would be difficult. I made some really quick and dirty drawstring from fabric scraps with my serger.
This is my wearable muslin of the pattern. I admit I planned to wear these as pyjamas, but now I think they are just too pretty to hide in the bedroom. They are really comfy, but with the slim leg also look dressy. The rise is very low, but just OK for me. Unfortunately I will still have to wait a few months until it wil be warm enough to wear my Tierras Woven Joggers.