Itch to Stitch: Davina Dress in Red and Blue

By now you can say that I have become an Itch to Stitch addict. When Kennis announced her new pattern and called for testers, I had to sign up. This dress has everthing I like: Fitted bodice, flared skirt, pockets. And it is for knit fabrics, so fitting issues are reduced and it will be comfy to wear. What more could you want?

2015-09-11-Davina5

2015-09-11-Davina4Fabric:

The fabric is a rayon/spandex. I tried to match the print as best as possible. Both center front and center back seam are curved, so a 100% match is not possible, but I tried to keep the rows at the same level.

Alterations:

I lenghtened the shoulder by 2 cm. This is the same alteration I made for the Idyllwild Top. I also lenghtened the skirt of the red dress about 10 cm. I find it is a more balanced look with the 3/4 sleeves.

Construction Notes:

I followed the instructions which are very clear and detailed as always. As the body is fully lined I used a lightning stitch for the seams. All seams of the skirt are serged. For the hem of both sleeves and skirt I used a zigzag stitch just because I was short on thread.

I also made a second version. Actually, this was my muslin, but then I liked it so much, that I finished it.

2015-09-11-Davina9

2015-09-11-Davina8The waist is a bit higher on this version. I did not change anything in the pattern, this is just due to the diffferent fabrics. The skirt of the red version is much heavier and pulls the whole dress down. I like both looks, but the blue dress is more like the pattern is intended to look. I added a side zipper as the fabric has not a lot of stretch. In the end, it would not have been necessary. I also lined the skirt to add some opacity. I stitched in the ditch of the bottom of the waistband to add a bit stability and to join the lining to the outer fabric. At least, I tried. Despite pinning the fabric shifted a lot and the inside looks quite messy. I think I should have basted this before sewing. My attempt at sewing the lining to the zipper with the machine was also not very successful. In the end I sewed the skirt lining to the zipper tape by hand. So much neater and without cursing.

For the hem I used the “rolled hem” settings of my serger. I love the wavy effect.

No print matching for this dress, as I was short on fabric.

2015-09-11-Davina12

Conclusion:

I love this dress. It is easy to sew and so comfy to wear. With the different sleeve variations and skirt length it can look quite different. I already have an amazing dark red wool knit to make a version for fall/winter.

This was my last summer sewing. Last week we spend on the island Usedom in the north east of Germany. We had a really nice weather and is was still quite warm. But now fall is already here with chilly mornings and a lot of rain. I have already made some sewing plans and started the next knitting project, a warm woolly cardigan.

Are you still sewing for summer, or do you already make plans for fall/winter?

IMG_6746

IMG_6362

This entry was posted in Dresses, Itch to Stitch, Pattern Tester and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Itch to Stitch: Davina Dress in Red and Blue

  1. Muse says:

    Great result, especially love the blue fabric

  2. sewbussted says:

    If only all muslins turned out so well. The pattern matching isn’t even an issue as the pattern is so busy. The fit is so spot on. Enjoy your beautiful makes 🙂

  3. Very pretty dresses! I don’t sew for summer or winter. I just get my eye on something and add it to my list to be done someday. Unless there is something I need right away!

  4. Angela says:

    I hadn’t heard of that company but love your dress, so I’m heading over to take a look.

Leave a Reply